I have been using a near zero water change since March 2015. This is now my 4th Triton Test. I did do a 40g water change since last test in June. I find it easier to just dump the water when cleaning out the sump a few times a year rather than trying to save it. Only other water changes are from accidental spills and the water lost when trading/selling frags.
Only surprise from last June test was Sodium levels dropped 500ppm. I don't recall checking Salinity before sending in the test so hopefully that accounts for the variation. Will test salinity prior to sending in the Feb Triton sample.
Sulfate levels were a concern from June test. During the 4month period since Jan, I used 100% Magnesium Sulfate for maintaining Magnesium levels. Sulfate is back inline of where it should be. Will now go back to using Randy's recipe #1 for Magnesium.
I ran out of Triton Strontium supplement. Decided to switch to Brightwell Aquatics Dry Strontium as it should be more cost effective. Triton supplement lasted 9 months at $42. 300g dry Britghtwell should last years at $20. This will require changing up my monthly dosages so it may take a test or two to get that tweaked. For now, I'm going to use as directed to add 1ppm per month per the instructions and see what it looks like on next tests.
One time additions based on Triton results were:
200ml of Triton Strontium Supplement ( which finished off the bottle ).
1.5 cups of DIY Potassium supplement.
20ml of Nickel ( which finished off the bottle. Undecided if I will continue dosing ).
2ml of Triton Zinc
1ml of Triton Vanadium
1 Teaspoon of Borax ( dissolved in heated ro/do ), this should raise Boron approx 1ppm per 200g.
4 drops of Manganese.
Based on the latest results, just minor tweaks to my monthly dosages:
Increased diy potassium from 1/3 cup per month to 1/2 cup per month.
Changing to Brightwell Strontium dosages to be determined
Triton Vanadium from .25 mil to .5mil per month.
Triton Zinc from .5 to .75ml per month.
Reducing from 5mil to 3ml of Silicate ( AKA Liquid Glass )
Reducing from 1 capsule to 1 every other month of Molybdenum.
Increasing from 2 drops per month to 4 drops per month of Manganese.
I run the Gen1 Ecotech Radions which don't have any UV in them. I have been running supplemental UV LED strips since 2012. They add a nice subtle pop to the greens.
The back side UV Leds strips have been burnt out for over a year. The salt spray from the corner overflows took its toll. I added corner overflow acrylic covers to resolve the salt spray but never got around to replacing the leds.
This time I went with the solderless from rapidled.com. The difference in price was negligible and much easier to replace. 12 Leds + wiring was $60 shipped. There was nothing wrong with the driver ballast and I already had reflectors.
UV LED Strip before repairs:
UV LED Strip after repairs: